Pasta Primavera with Caramelized Onions
Share this recipe with others: Tweet
Prep: 20 min. • Cook: 45 min. • Serves: 6
- 2 large Biggins® onions, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 large zucchinis (7 inches each), sliced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. cooked penne pasta
- 1 container (8 oz.) basil pesto sauce
- 1 c. shredded Italian cheeses
In a large skillet, caramelize the onions by cooking on medium-low heat in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 15-20 minutes, or until golden. Add red and green bell peppers, zucchini and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the onions. Continue to sauté 8-10 minutes, until the peppers and zucchini are tender.
Meanwhile, cook 8 ounces penne pasta in boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender; drain. Return hot pasta to pan; add vegetables and basil pesto sauce. Gently toss ingredients together to coat. Heat through for 5-10 minutes. Lightly mix in 1 cup shredded Italian cheeses and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of: National Onion Association